Mold spores, invisible to the naked eye, can be found everywhere, both indoors and outdoors. Spores make their way into the home either through the air or after attaching to objects or people. Open windows, doorways and ventilation systems are all gateways through which spores can enter. Clothing, shoes and pets can all facilitate the arrival of mold within the home.
Mold will only grow if spores land somewhere that has the ideal conditions for growing – places with excessive moisture and a supply of suitable nutrients. If this does not happen, molds do not normally cause any problem at all.
Mold can often be found in areas where leakages and flooding have occurred and near windows where condensation builds up. Wet cellulose materials are most supportive of mold growth, including paper products, cardboard, ceiling tiles and wood products. Wallpaper, insulation materials and upholstery are other typical launchpads for mold growth.
Mold growth is usually noticeable – it is usually visible and often produces a musty odor.
In North America, the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) states that “if mold is a problem in your home, you should clean up the mold promptly and fix the water problem.”
We wonder- does the EPA recommend dealing with mold swiftly because of the damage it can do to property? Or because of the damage it could do to health? Either way, it is a good idea to fix it quickly!