Most of us have gone swimming in a pool filled with too much chlorine before. This is fine, but did you know that chlorine might be in your drinking water? Chlorine enters drinking water a few different ways. The gas and liquid forms of chlorine are water additives used by public water systems to control microbes. It has the lowest operating costs for continuous disinfection operations. It also enters drinking water as chlorine dioxide, another water additive used to control tastes and odors.
Chlorine in drinking water is very dangerous. Health detriments include irritating effect to the nose and eyes, as well as stomach discomfort and anemia. Infants of pregnant women who drink such water could experience nervous system effects.
However, there are ways to know about your drinking waters chlorine level. You can start by looking at your water bill or telephone book’s government listings for local information. You can also contact your water utility, as EPA requires all community water systems to prepare and deliver an annual consumer confidence report. You can also request a copy from a nearby community water system.